tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] New feature to limit capture file size (#464)

From: Wesley Shields <wxs () FreeBSD org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:02:31 -0400

On Jun 10, 2015, at 7:35 AM, Darren Reed <darrenr () netbsd org> wrote:

On 10/06/2015 5:42 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
re: https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/464 Guy writes:
We have the -C option, giving a file size in megabytes (real megabytes, i.e. 1,000,000 bytes, not 1,048,576 bytes);
once the file gets that big, tcpdump switches to a new file. This adds another file size option, with a different
syntax for the size option, and with tcpdump stopping rather than rotating files when it reaches that size. We also
have the -G option, to rotate files based on time rather than size. We might want to consider cleaning up these
options a bit, so that we can specify "stop" vs. "rotate" and "file size" rather than "capture time" independently.
thoughts? I'm happy to accept the patch once sane, and then clean it up as Guy suggests.

Maybe it is time to work out how this should interact now...

Why is there even a need to have -G and -C?
Aren't both really just the same feature? (file rotation)
But with a different parameter?
Why can't it be "-C 1h,500M"? (rotate after 500M or 1h)
... and so on.

I think the "We might want to..." paragraph is right but that more thought
is needed.

Whatever the decision is can we be sure that the various options (-G, -C and -W) are kept for backwards compatibility
for a long time? I ask because I know of some places which are using -G to write packets in time sliced files and
changing the semantics of that flag would cause mass chaos.

What has never been clear to me is how -G, -C and -W work together, so any way to simplify things there and make it
clearer is welcome by me.

-- WXS