tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] New feature to limit capture file size (#464)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 15:42:47 -0400

re: https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/464

Guy writes:
We have the -C option, giving a file size in megabytes (real megabytes,
i.e. 1,000,000 bytes, not 1,048,576 bytes); once the file gets that big,
tcpdump switches to a new file.

This adds another file size option, with a different syntax for the size
option, and with tcpdump stopping rather than rotating files when it
reaches that size.

We also have the -G option, to rotate files based on time rather than size.

We might want to consider cleaning up these options a bit, so that we can
specify "stop" vs. "rotate" and "file size" rather than "capture time"
independently.

thoughts?  I'm happy to accept the patch once sane, and then clean it up
as Guy suggests.