tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Official patches for CVE-2014-8767/CVE-2014-8768/CVE-2014-8769?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:22:44 -0800

On Nov 24, 2014, at 10:25 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Michal Sekletar <msekleta () redhat com> wrote:

I don't agree. Rather what are you hearing is a request that code
should appear in master branch on GitHub with reasonable time delay.

So, it happens occasionally that developers' forget to push, and it stays on
their laptop.  How is this any different?

What I have on my laptop isn't official - and isn't available to anybody else.  Think of it as a collection of
temporary personal forks, each of which will be eliminated when I either abandon it by deleting the tree or push it to
bpf.tcpdump.org.  It has nothing to do with official libpcap/tcpdump.

For bpf.tcpdump.org and GitHub, however, they're both publicly available; if somebody wants to know what's in the
official repository, where should they look?

There are two options, make bpf.tcpdump.org sync with GitHub after
every commit or do development on GitHub only. Or the other way around,

It pushes every single night: it seems that it failed to push a new branch.

New branch?  The trunk on GitHub doesn't, for example, show my checkins for the CVEs in question, unless I'm missing
something.  That wasn't on a new branch.

And changes made on GitHub - such as the changes that result from merging pull requests on GitHub - require manual
pulling to get them onto bpf.tcpdump.org.