tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:30:31 -0700

On Apr 24, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt <p.rosenberg-watt () cablelabs com> wrote:

Then how are we to determine if the capture is 1G or 10G mode? Do we
simply exclude the possibility of XXXXXX being 010101 for the MPCP LSB? Or
are we back to a preference, but to select 1G vs 10G mode? Or maybe a
LINKTYPE_EPON_10G?

Given that the downstream encryption mechanisms are different for 1G and 10G, and given that the sniffing hardware
presumably knows whether it's sniffing 1G or 10G, I'd vote for LINKTYPE_EPON_1G and LINKTYPE_EPON_10G, with the
differences being in the parsing of the octet in question and in the decryption of downstream traffic if the program
reading the file supports that.