tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:58:30 -0700

On Apr 21, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt <P.Rosenberg-Watt () cablelabs com> wrote:

The frames as captured do not look like they've passed through the receive
function. Here's an example preamble as captured:

D5 55 55 3C 02 44

As you can see, The first two bytes of the preamble have been stripped
according to the note in 65.1.3.2.1 "SLD." The first byte we get to see,
which is the third byte of the preamble, is the SLD 0xD5. Then two bytes
of 0x55, then the LLID 0x3C02, then the CRC-8 0x44.

Everything after those 6 bytes is a normal Ethernet frame, starting with
the destination MAC.

So I believe we will only need one LINKTYPE_ which will be for EPON frames
that have not been processed by the receive function (or straight off of
the optical fiber).

OK, so frames for LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP, or whatever we end up calling it, are:

        the last 6 octets of the modified preamble as specified by 65.1.3.2 "Transmit" in 802.3-2012

followed by

        a regular Ethernet frame (with the destination MAC being the MAC of the splitter, rather than the MAC of the
final destination?)?

Any sniffing after an EPON preamble has been processed
through the receive function will appear to be a normal Ethernet frame.

And those would be LINKTYPE_ETHERNET, with just a regular Ethernet frame with the right destination MAC, and nothing
preceding the destination MAC?