tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:42:48 -0700

On Apr 21, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt <P.Rosenberg-Watt () cablelabs com> wrote:

On 4/21/14 15:58 , "Guy Harris" <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

OK, so frames for LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP, or whatever we end up calling
it, are:

     the last 6 octets of the modified preamble as specified by 65.1.3.2
"Transmit" in 802.3-2012

Correct.

OK - is LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP a good name, or might there be other flavors of point-to-multipoint in the future, so
that we should call this LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP_EPON or something such as that?

followed by

     a regular Ethernet frame (with the destination MAC being the MAC of the
splitter, rather than the MAC of the final destination?)?

The destination MAC is the same as defined for Ethernet in IEEE 802.1. I
can't find anything in the specification that says that the ONU/OLT will
rewrite the destination MAC. The ONU/OLT has an internal mapping to
associate LLIDs with MACs of connected devices, and uses it for forwarding
packets to the appropriate Ethernet port.

So why doesn't the destination MAC suffice to determine which is the appropriate Ethernet port?

And those would be LINKTYPE_ETHERNET, with just a regular Ethernet frame
with the right destination MAC, and nothing preceding the destination MAC?

Yes, because the sniffer would be connected downstream of the ONU/OLT

E.g., connected to the Ethernet in the subscriber's home?