tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump 4.4 release candidate 1

From: Romain Francoise <rfrancoise () debian org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:15:19 +0100

Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> writes:

fa33da4f1c54e40a792cafedba3323238b826a5a  libpcap-1.4.0-rc1.tar.gz
e45c91cad15e7516610a8906c20745cbb00ff451  tcpdump-4.4.0-rc1.tar.gz

Thanks. EXTRA_DIST needs to be updated in tcpdump, `make check' from the
tarball fails because some test files are missing (this isn't the first
time this happens, so maybe the dist target could be made smarter and
automatically include files from tests/TESTLIST).

DISTRO MANAGERS: I think that the libusb should be disabled in libpcap,
otherwise ELF shared library systems will break, as the application
won't know to link libusb in.

Hmm. It seems to me that pcap-config already does the right thing:

% pcap-config --libs
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu  -lpcap
% pcap-config --libs --static
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lpcap -lusb-1.0 -lpthread
%

Now you could argue that not all applications use pcap-config, but that's
outside our control...

What I'd like to see is a libpcap0.8 compatible libpcap1.4 release that
has libusb removed. I'd like to also have a libpcap1.4 package that has
libusb included. Would this make sense?

As far as I can tell enabling libusb support doesn't actually change the
ABI, so you could have libusb support in libpcap0.8. But adding binary
dependencies to a core library has a cost that I'm not willing to pay
unless there are some compelling reasons... Guy and I had the same
discussion about libnl support a few months ago.

On the other hand, introducing a completely separate set of packages just
for some extra features would be wasteful.

So I don't know. Maybe I could add an extra 'libpcap0.8-sumo' binary
package with all third-party libraries enabled, or something.

--
Romain Francoise <rfrancoise () debian org>
http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/