tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing on both interfaces simultaneously

From: rixed () happyleptic org
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:34:27 +0100

-[ Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:59:26PM -0800, Guy Harris ]----
Unfortunately, I don't know any way to
associate a file descriptor with a pcap handle portably. :-(

pcap_get_selectable_fd() if present in your libpcap, pcap_fileno() otherwise.

Thank you for the correction.

Yes junkie uses one thread per interface.  The reason behind this is that I use
it to perform a lot of process for every packet so using threads on many
interfaces offer as much parallelism as necessary

...although, unless the processing can make blocking system calls, this only helps to the extent that your machine
can run multiple threads in parallel

Indeed, as can most hardware that's not a fridge these days :-)
Also, despite we're getting of topic, I'd like to add that I find threaded code
easier to read than event-sliced programs (since it saves the save/lookup of
the state when an event occur/finishes) ; it also tends to be harder to debug,
though.

I think you will be forced into recvfrom
No, pcap_dispatch() should work.-

No doubt pcap_get_selectable_fd() + pcap_dispatch() is the correct answer to OP's
question.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.