tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing on both interfaces simultaneously

From: dragorn () durandal kismetwireless net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:25:30 -0500

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:06:19PM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 02:35:24PM -0500, abhinav narain wrote:
I am using libpcap on Openwrt platform, Netgear router wndr3700v2.
I am able to capture packets on phy0, interface.
But what should I do to capture packets on phy0,phy1 simultaneously in the
same program ?

I don't think I can use "any" interface as it might capture packets from
bridge interface also !

The current *development* tree of Wireshark supports simultanous capture
on several interfaces and this includes the text version tshark. AFAIK,
tcpdump does not support this - but you may alway start tcpdump multiple
times, once for each interface and later merge the capture files.

Kismet does this as well, if you're in the wireless space.

But yeah -  mergecap is your friend otherwise, it's application level
logic to capture from multiple sources.

-m

Ciao
    Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>
-