tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: New datasource implementation

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:37:38 -0800

On Dec 27, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Akos" == Akos Vandra <axos88 () gmail com> writes:

   Akos> P.S. Why are configure and config.h.in tracked? Shouldn't
   Akos> these be generated by autoconf and autoheader?

In theory, yes.  In practice, end users never have the exact *right*
version of those utilities installed, and only people hacking that part
of the code need it.

The distribution tarballs should definitely include configure and config.h.in - but they could be generated by the
process of making the release tarball; that's how Wireshark does it.  That way, end users don't need to have autoconf
or autoheader installed at all, much less having the right version installed; as you note, the people hacking on the
configure scripts would need to have them installed anyway.

If you "touch .devel" in the directory, configure does some more things,
including running "make depend".  Hmm. I thought it also assumed
autoconf existed, and would regenerate things, but I don't see that in ./configure.

Yes, we'd want Makefile rules to generate the configure script, and make the release tarball depend on configure so
that those rules are run when you do "make releasetar".-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.