tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: New datasource implementation

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:04:10 -0800

On Dec 20, 2011, at 1:01 AM, Akos Vandra wrote:

So my questions are:
 - What are the steps needed to 'nicely' add support to a new device?

If your new device requires a new link-layer header type (which this one does, as per the discussion on the
wireshark-dev list), you need to get one assigned; that means supplying an indication of the packet header format or,
at least, a link to such a specification, even if it's one of ARM's damned "sorry, you have to be a customer to see
this document" documents.

What do I have to add to the configuration, makefiles, #ifdefs, to add
conditional building?

See how, for example, the Linux Bluetooth support was added.

 - How can I commit my newly supported device to the libpcap tree?

Send us a patch, submit it on SourceForge, or do whatever the shiny new Git magic is for that (Michael, how do people
do that?).

 - How can this libusb dependency be solved? I don't think it would
be fair to require all libpcap users to need libusb, just for one
device that they might not even use - conditional building might solve
this though.

I guess that depends on what "need" means here.  As I noted in my other message, if libpcap is dynamically linked with
libusb, libusb will be linked in at run time without programs using libpcap, or their developers, needing to know about
it.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.