tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: A puzzled maintainer with questions regarding

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:10:11 -0700

On Mar 14, 2011, at 5:14 AM, M.Baris Demiray wrote:

Indeed, may be you could also add (along with the link to the old
unclassified version) that new versions of STANAG 5066 haven't
introduced any alterations to D_PDU headers and the last edition,
Edition 3, is totally backward compatible with this old 1.0.2 version;
since this would help to encourage those who want to contribute and/or
debug without a STANAG 5066 specification at hand. But, with or
without this notification, I agree on the definition you wrote.

OK, I've assigned 237 for LINKTYPE_STANAG_5066_D_PDU/DLT_STANAG_5066_D_PDU.  The description that should show up,
within 24 hours or so, on

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

will be

        D_PDUs as described by NATO standard STANAG 5066, starting with the synchronization sequence, and including
both header and data CRCs. The current version of STANAG 5066 is backwards-compatible with the 1.0.2 version, although
newer versions are classified.

with "the 1.0.2 version" linking to

        http://www.armymars.net/ArmyMARS/HF-Email/resources/stanag5066.pdf-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.