tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: MIME type for libpcap (tcpdump -w)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:20:01 -0700

On Nov 2, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Glen Turner wrote:

I was a bit surprised when I clicked on a libpcap packet capture that it did not automatically launch "wireshark -r".
I have searched the archive of this mailing list looking for a MIME type and found no consensus.

I seek consensus for the following, which I have based on discussions on this subject previously which I have found
in the mailing list archive. The proposed MIME type meets IETF/IANA requirements.

Note that neither the IETF nor the IANA will own the file format - or even the registry of link-layer type values -
*and* that there's no guarantee that the tcpdump.org registry will be always able to respond in a timely fashion to
requests for link-layer type values (the person who usually hands them out is a bit picky about handing them out, and
can also be a bit busy at times).

Is that a problem with said requirements?

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.