tcpdump mailing list archives

MIME type for libpcap (tcpdump -w)

From: Glen Turner <gdt () gdt id au>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:31:30 +1030

Hi folks,

I was a bit surprised when I clicked on a libpcap packet capture that it did not automatically launch "wireshark -r". I have searched the archive of this mailing list looking for a MIME type and found no consensus.

I seek consensus for the following, which I have based on discussions on this subject previously which I have found in the mailing list archive. The proposed MIME type meets IETF/IANA requirements.

If a consensus already exists, please let me know what it is, as it is not apparent in the mailing list archive.

Thank you, Glen

mime.types format

application/vnd.tcpdump.org-libpcap    pcap cap dmp

FreeDesktop format

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info";>
  <mime-type type="application/vnd.tcpdump.org-libpcap">
    <comment>Network packet capture</comment>
    <acronym>libpcap</acronym>
    <expanded-acronym>Network packet capture from a libpcap application</expanded-acronym>
    <glob pattern="*.pcap" />
    <glob pattern="*.cap" />
    <glob pattern="*.dmp" />
    <magic priority="50">
      <match type="host32" offset="0" value="0xa1b2c3d4" />
      <match type="host32" offset="0" value="0xd4c3b2a1" />
    </magic>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>

Apache configuration

<IfModule mod_mime.c>
  AddType application/vnd.tcpdump.org-libpcap .pcap .cap .dmp
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_autoindex.c>
  AddDescription "Network packet capture" .pcap .cap .dmp
</IfModule>

--
 Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>
-