tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap-bpf and AIX odm related code

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:46:00 -0400

Guy Harris wrote:

On Oct 9, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

I do not know if there are any AIX users left.
For me, it's been at least 15 years since I had one with a compiler.
(Not counting the VIO LPAR server on IBM pSeries...)

I wonder if we can even maintain this branch of pcap at this point?

We can maintain pcap on AIX to the extent that

    1) I can use The Written Word's machines to test that it builds

and

2) people who have access to AIX systems on which they can *run* tcpdump (meaning "root privileges", I think, which I *don't* have on TWW's systems) contribute patches if stuff doesn't work.

That also applies to any other OSes to which we might not have access, such as HP-UX and Tru64 UNIX. (I have access to OS X on my machines, as well as access to a variety of Linuxes, *BSDs, Solaris, and Windows under VMware Fusion. If an OS requires a non-x86/non-x86-64 processor, I can't run it on my machine.)

Sorry, late to the party here. I originally joined this list when I first tried to compile on one of my AIX 5.3 boxes. I now have a couple 6.1's in the lab that I'll bring back to life this weekend (maybe sooner). This has been purely for Snort development, but I see more use now. I can also provide shell accounts to anybody who wants to do some dev work. They are all GNU GCC/G++ environments.

Thanks,
Randy
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.