tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap: patches required for OpenSolaris/SXCE

From: Darren Reed <Darren.Reed () Sun COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:30:37 +1100

Guy Harris wrote:

On Nov 29, 2009, at 11:43 PM, Darren Reed wrote:
When there is no network interface specified with
-i, what I expect from "tcpdump -L" is for tcpdump to
list all of the DLTs that are available for selection
with -y.

What you *should* expect is all the DLTs *that are available for the default interface*. "All of the DLTs that are available for selection with -y" is meaningless without specifying an interface - you can't select an DLT until you've first selected an interface, and if you don't select an interface, the first interface available in the "tcpdump -D" list is chosen by default.

And that is what it does.

In that case, I think the output of "tcudmp -L" is just confusing.

When I run tcpdump without specifying an interface with -i, it does print out the network interface name:
# tcpdump
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on tun0, link-type RAW (Raw IP), capture size 96 bytes

... I think the output of "tcpdump -L" could do with mentioning the link name.

Darren

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.