tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: -i man "Ties are broken by choosing the earliest match."

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:19:12 -0700

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Doru Georgescu wrote:

Indeed, I was not logged in. I don't know how to apologize.

By telling the SourceForge people that their error message is very unhelpful. :-)

I.e., given how horribly wrong their error message is, I don't think you have anything for which you need to apologize; they did, after all, say that comments were closed, so the obvious conclusion for one to draw is that comments were closed....

I will try to look into this.
Am I supposed to close that 'bug', while allowing further comments? I mean, if
you can't close it.

I'd close it without allowing further comments - this is one place where that'd be appropriate.

I'd file the libpcap bug about the filter man page first, and then close the tcpdump one about the expression section of the tcpdump man page as a duplicate of the new libpcap bug. If, when you close a bug as a duplicate, you can't specify the bug it's a duplicate of, I'd put that in (including the URL for the libpcap bug) as a final comment.

So where are the up-to-date man's? Maybe they are not public yet.

Currently, they're only in the libpcap and tcpdump source code tarballs, and in OSes that have adopted libpcap 1.0.0/tcpdump 4.0.0 (for example, I think recent versions of Gentoo might have done so, from mail Peter Volkov has sent out).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.