tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: MIME type for libpcap-format capture files

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 02:34:26 -0800

On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Jefferson Ogata wrote:

I agree. For one thing, another MIME type might eventually exist for filter specifications. It is not sufficient to describe a capture file as simply "pcap".

But what I think is missing is a version number. Given the talk in recent years about implementing the next version, I think the type should be application/pcap-capture-v1.

Given that the next version

1) is extensible, so, with any luck, it should be a long while before we need to come up with a next version after that;

2) is called "pcap-NG", so "application/pcap-ng-capture" or something such as that could be its media type;

3) there's no number in the file that's being bumped from 1 to 2 by pcap-ng (there is a major and minor version number in pcap format, but all versions would be "application/pcap-capture", and there's a major and minor version number in pcap-ng format, but that's in the section header block, and there could be multiple sections with different versions - and they'd all be "application/pcap-ng-capture" in any case);

I don't see any need for "-v1" in the media type.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.