tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: error executing ksniff with libpcap 1.0.0

From: Giovanni Venturi <giovanni () ksniffer org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:06:10 +0100

Alle martedì 18 novembre 2008, Guy Harris ha scritto:
If you *truly* set a variable to, say, 9, and then later set it from
the return value of a function, and immediately after setting it from
the return value of the function it still has the value you originally
set it to, then either

      1) there's a hardware problem on your machine;

      2) there's a compiler problem on your machine;

      3) the function sometimes returns 9.

I went through the pcap_next_ex() code path on Linux - it can't return
9 when doing a live capture.  That leaves a hardware or compiler
problem....
I don't have hardware problem, so we have just the second possibility. I used
gcc (GCC) 4.2.4 . What compiler have you used to compile libpcap 1.0.0?

Giovanni

--
A KDE Italian translator and KSniffer core developer
Slackware GNU/Linux current version - kernel 2.6.27.6