tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: error executing ksniff with libpcap 1.0.0

From: Giovanni Venturi <giovanni () ksniffer org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:27:31 +0100

Alle lunedì 17 novembre 2008, Guy Harris ha scritto:
On Nov 16, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
    4) somehow that causes pcap_open_live() to fail, rather than just
falling back on reading from the PF_PACKET socket in the normal
fashion.

If so, that's a libpcap bug; I'll try debugging it.

pcap_open_live() doesn't seem to be failing in that case (and looking
at the code seemed to indicate that it wouldn't fail).

Are you certain that it's failing?  (Or are you just printing what's
in errbuf after it succeeds?  If so, I guess you could call it a
warning that your kernel doesn't have memory-mapped capture support,
but I'm not sure whether that's a useful warning or not, so I'm
tempted to remove it, and just have it silently fall back on regular
capture if memory-mapped capture isn't supported.)
-
memory-mapped capture support? I guess that this is used in libpcap 1.0.0,
right? What kernel option do I have to check?

It's failing pcap_next() I printed pcap_geterr(). I did not commited this
small change in the kde SVN.

Giovanni

--
A KDE Italian translator and KSniffer core developer
Slackware GNU/Linux current version - kernel 2.6.27.4