tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Patch: Split out pcap-filters from tcpdump

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:39:32 +0100

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 01:26:35PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
Joerg Mayer wrote:
Sometimes I find patches that I was sure I had sent ages ago. This is
one of them - updated to current cvs.

Move the pcap filter syntax into its own manpage.

I've checked that into the main and 1.0 branches, with some edits, along
with updates to:
[...]

Thanks - I was bound to miss some places.

The patches to the RPM spec got rid of some mkdir commands and
commented-out install commands; is that because those are taken care of
automatically with current RPM generation software?

Actually, I assumed that it gets taken care of by the "make install ..."
command, so I removed just some redundancy. And stuff that's commented
out isn't too helpful either (and should also be taken care of by make
install).
Another thing I was thinking about: Looking at distributions, the
specfile is normally called libpcap.spec, not pcap.spec. There are other
things which are typical to Linux distros, so I'll not talk about this
further in this mail but cover that in a new thread later this week,
once I've looked at more distributions.

If that patch is
acceptable, I'll send another patch that removes it from the tcpdump
manpage and references the new one instead.

The tcpdump man page should probably continue to list the examples, and
continue to indicate what the requirements are for filters on the
command line (e.g., quoting to avoid shell processing of parentheses).
The pcap-filter.4 man page shouldn't discuss that, as the string might
be typed on the command line, or in some form of non-shell input, or in
a file, or even in a source file for an application with a wired-in
filter string.

Hopefully I've managed to do that in the attached patch.

Thanks!
      Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.