tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Patch: Split out pcap-filters from tcpdump

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:26:35 -0800

Joerg Mayer wrote:
Sometimes I find patches that I was sure I had sent ages ago. This is
one of them - updated to current cvs.

Move the pcap filter syntax into its own manpage.

I've checked that into the main and 1.0 branches, with some edits, along with updates to:

        FILES - list the new file, so it goes into the source tarball;

        INSTALL.txt - to indicate what the file is (and clarify what pcap.3 is);

        CREDITS - to credit you as one of the contributors to libpcap;

pcap.3 - to refer to the new man page (and to stop suggesting that patches be sent to patches () tcpdump org, as that list is a spam magnet and nobody reads it any more, as far as I know).

The patches to the RPM spec got rid of some mkdir commands and commented-out install commands; is that because those are taken care of automatically with current RPM generation software?

If that patch is
acceptable, I'll send another patch that removes it from the tcpdump
manpage and references the new one instead.

The tcpdump man page should probably continue to list the examples, and continue to indicate what the requirements are for filters on the command line (e.g., quoting to avoid shell processing of parentheses). The pcap-filter.4 man page shouldn't discuss that, as the string might be typed on the command line, or in some form of non-shell input, or in a file, or even in a source file for an application with a wired-in filter string.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.