tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: problem while examinate 802.11-packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:43:23 -0800

Christian Stalp wrote:

And one question more, how can I use monitore-mode for normal traffic?

I.e., you want to run in monitor mode while still using the adapter for normal traffic?

Whether you can do that depends on the adapter and the driver; as I understand it, some adapters can support that and some can't. For the adapters that can, some drivers might support it, and some might not.

        http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/modes

"With mac80211, it is possible to have a network device in monitor mode in addition to a regular device, this is useful to observe the network whilst using it. However, not all hardware fully supports this as not all hardware can be configured to show all packets while in one of the other operating modes, monitor mode interfaces always work on a "best effort" basis."

I don't know whether pre-mac80211 drivers can support that or not.

Or an other question, can I monitor an normal data-traffic.

In monitor mode, you should get all traffic received by the adapter, including data frames.

About that I get only contradictory information.

Some adapters might, for some reason, not support that, although I'd consider an adapter that couldn't do that to be really broken.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.