tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: problem while examinate 802.11-packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:27:08 -0800

Christian Stålp wrote:

Argh, thats are very very sad news. That dumps all my ideas. My project was to track the retry field and in case of a dramitical increase switch over to the monitor mode, and see what wrong. Maybe you see some pattern, some events? My idea was to obserse which station in the bss has the most troubble while transmission.

Is there really now way to track these information from the fake ethernet-frames?

No, there's no way to track, for example, the Retry flag in the Frame Control field; the only packets you'll see outside of monitor mode are data frames, and the frame control field will be discarded - there's no place to put that information in a fake Ethernet header.

Now, if you were using *BSD, you might be able to get 802.11 headers from adapters without putting the device into monitor mode, the way I described in my earlier mail. Unfortunately, Linux doesn't have a standard mechanism for requesting particular link-layer header types, and I don't know if any drivers support

yes this confused me also the first time. But the real target of my project is the broadcom-chip. This means this is thought to become a daemon on a openwrt-AP. And now that become more complex that I thought. If I consider how laborious it is to send atheros (madwifi) into monitor modus. This is not done with simple "iwconfig ath0 mode monitor", no you have to create a monitor VAP first.

So that command doesn't work?

The page at

        http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/MonitorMode

says

To create a monitor mode VAP, see: UserDocs/MonitorModeInterface. After that, it won't be necessary to use the command iwconfig ath0 mode monitor.

which sounds as if it's saying that you *can* create a monitor mode virtual access point, but that you don't have to - if you create one, you don't have to do "iwconfig ath0 mode monitor", which seems to imply that you could also do "iwconfig ath0 mode monitor".
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.