tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [clearview-discuss] libdlpi with libpcap

From: sagun shakya <Sagun.Shakya () Sun COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:04:15 -0500

Guy Harris wrote:
On Feb 13, 2008, at 6:14 PM, sagun shakya wrote:

Updated webrev can be found at:

http://cr.opensolaris.org/~sagun/libpcap-review2/

It says, in a comment you added to configure.in:

        + # Due to a gcc bug (6619485), the default search path for 32-bit
        + # libraries does not include /lib, we add it explicitly here.
        + # Also, due to the bug above applications that link to libpcap with
        + # libdlpi will have to add "-L/lib" option to "configure".

(Is 6619485 a GCC Bugzilla bug number?  I don't see it on http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla.)

No, this is a Bug in Solaris for the gcc version that is available.

% /usr/sfw/bin/gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-20050802)

. This bug does not exist in the latest version of GCC.
If applications have to add that flag, tcpdump's configure script should probably check to see whether it needs to link with -L/lib in order to link with libpcap; tcpdump is not necessarily linked with ../ libpcap-XXX/libpcap.a - somebody might be building tcpdump on a system that comes with libpcap, and be linking with the system libpcap. Putting that in there also provides a template that other applications can use in their configure scripts, if they're using autoconf.

I agree, I'll add this to the configure script of tcpdump. This would also be applicable for wireshark then?

Thanks,
-sagun