tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: supporting extend 'open live capture' parametes

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:54:44 -0800

BTW, my original tests of the monitor mode changes didn't work on FreeBSD or OpenBSD, because the adapter was added when I plugged it into the USB bus, but wasn't automatically brought up. I had to do "ifconfig zyd0 up" to make it work.

If libpcap can determine that an adapter isn't up, should it attempt to bring it up with the appropriate ioctl? Or should it fail and have the application tell the user, who would have to bring it up themselves? Or should it just try to use the adapter anyway?
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.