tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_inject() fails with rc 0 on HP-UX

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:31:56 -0700

WRT the return of zero as the number of bytes - perhaps some of the code in pcap_dpli is ass-u-me-ing the return value from a call will give that? I've not looked at that source in a very long time though...

4) What is the expected interaction of multiple libpcap instances on
HP-UX?  I can't use my program and tcpdump at the same time; something
I can do on other OSes.

I believe this is a long-standing limitation of promiscuous mode support in HP-UX - only one process may have a promiscuous stream open on an interface at one time. I believe that is the case for DL_PROMISC_PHYS (give me everything that reaches the NIC). I cannot recall if that would be the same for the lesser "give me everything that the NIC gives the host" DL_PROMISC_SAP.

If you need/want that limitation lifted, definitely get in touch with the HP Response Centre and excercise your support contract(s) to have an enhancement request opened against DLPI.

Does your program actually require promiscuous mode to function?

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.