tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_inject() fails with rc 0 on HP-UX

From: "Harley Stenzel" <hstenzel () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:51:38 -0400

On 4/3/06, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> wrote:
4) What is the expected interaction of multiple libpcap instances on
HP-UX?  I can't use my program and tcpdump at the same time; something
I can do on other OSes.

I believe this is a long-standing limitation of promiscuous mode support
in HP-UX - only one process may have a promiscuous stream open on an
interface at one time.  I believe that is the case for DL_PROMISC_PHYS
(give me everything that reaches the NIC). I cannot recall if that would
be the same for the lesser "give me everything that the NIC gives the
host" DL_PROMISC_SAP.

Using tcpdump as an example:

bash-3.00# tcpdump -p -i lan2 > /dev/null &
[1] 14650
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on lan2, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

bash-3.00#  tcpdump -p -i lan2 > /dev/null
tcpdump: recv_ack: promisc_sap: UNIX error - Device busy

So, even without promiscous mode, it is not possible on HP-UX to have
multiple libpcap instances on the same nic.

If you need/want that limitation lifted, definitely get in touch with
the HP Response Centre and excercise your support contract(s) to have an
enhancement request opened against DLPI.

Thanks, we may do that.  It is inconvenient to not be able to use
tcpdump and a lipbcap app simultaneously.

Does your program actually require promiscuous mode to function?

No, it does not require promiscous mode.  It does need to register
multiple ethernet multicast addresses,  however.

rick jones

--Harley
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.