tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_inject() fails with rc 0 on HP-UX

From: "Harley Stenzel" <hstenzel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:09:13 -0400

Greetings--

[ obligatory new content because I messed up the content the first
time around. ]

I opened a bug report on sourceforge about this, but now have some
additional observations, and I would like some guidance about how to
best further debug the problem.  I've included that bug report here
for completeness, apologies for the duplication:

================
[ 1457147 ] pcap_inject() fails with rc 0 on HP-UX 11.23 ia64

 I am using libpcap 0.9.4 on HP-UX 11iv2 11.23 ia64 as
 both a 32 and 64 bit shared library.

 My program works properly on Linux, Solaris 8 & 10
 (multiple arches), and Windows (via Winpcap).  On those
 platforms, the call to pcap_inject() properly returns
 the number of octets written to the network.  Therefore
 I believe that the test program is properly calling
 pcap_inject().

 However, on HP-UX, that same call returns rc 0.

 I was not able to find a pre-existing bug for this
 problem, however I was able to find this message:
 http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2004/03/msg00103.html
 indicating that at least in 2004, HP-UX send would not
 work.
 ===============

1)  I have noted that libnet's transmission works, so I do not believe
that the underlying OS and/or nic is the issue (ala
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2005/09/msg00013.html).

2) It's not clear under what circumstances a rc 0 could ever be
returned.  Only on retrun from write() or dlrawdatareq() could rc be
0.

3) I ported libnet's transmission code into pcap_inject_dlpi().  It
still does not work, but the failure mode is different -- it reports
the number of octets written correctly, but the frame is still not on
the wire.

4) What is the expected interaction of multiple libpcap instances on
HP-UX?  I can't use my program and tcpdump at the same time; something
I can do on other OSes.

Thank you for any help.

--Harley

ps.  I've learned my lesson about posting from the wrong email addr....
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.