tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: why doesn't tcpdump drop privileges?

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:05:27 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:31:08PM -0600, Earl Hood wrote:
I think so.  I just a posted a patch for dropping priviledges in a
similiar style that the RedHat port of tcpdump does.

This must be the RedHat that never sends their patches back
upstream.  :-/

Well, speaking as the one who made the patch in the first place, maybe
2-3 years ago, I did send it to this list a LONG time ago, but didn't
bother re-sending too many times because there appeared to be very
little interest in the patches.

As for why I went for "pcap" instead of nobody in the first place..
Red Hat bundles tcpdump with arpwatch, which I also coded to drop root
privileges.  Picking a specific user name for these two purposes
seemed only logical. (Arpwatch has to maintain a couple of files owned
by 'pcap' as well.)

--

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at