tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: why doesn't tcpdump drop privileges?

From: Andrew Pimlott <andrew () pimlott net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:42:28 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:31:08PM -0600, Earl Hood wrote:
I think so.  I just a posted a patch for dropping priviledges in a
similiar style that the RedHat port of tcpdump does.

This must be the RedHat that never sends their patches back
upstream.  :-/

(I didn't see your patch because I just subscribed.)

By default,
it fallsback to the pcap userid, but you can also explicitly specify
which user via a command-line option.

I don't know what the pcap user is for on RedHat, but I don't see
why you would change to pcap instead of nobody.  nobody is
essentially by definition the least empowered user on the system, so
isn't that the natural choice?

The default user to fallback on should probably be a configure
setting, but I did not mess with the autoconf stuff.

Me neither.  ;-)  But the advantage of defaulting to nobody is that
it will "just work" on most systems, and thus make more people safe
than any scheme that requires explicit activation by a user or
administrator.  I don't mind a configure setting or command-line
option to override the default, of course.

I also agree (as I said in my other message) with supporting
security mechanisms other than unix userid on systems that have
them.  Changing userid is just an easy first step.

Andrew
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe