tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Patch : fix minor configure wart for libpcap

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd+tcpdump () sensorynetworks com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:07:46 +1100

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:51:41 -0800
Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

...and prevents autoconf 2.13 from generating a usable script - it
doesn't understand "m4_pattern_allow()", so it just puts

      m4_pattern_allow(LIBOBJS)

into the configure script.

Supporting a range of versions of autoconf is admirable, but I think the
more recent versions should have priority over older versions. From a
little research, it seems that autoconf 2.50 was released in mid-2001
which really is some time ago.

I don't know whether there's a way to get the newer autoconfs not to
complain without breaking older autoconfs.  If not, we'll probably have
to decide to require anybody doing development on the configure scripts
to have a newer autoconf, and use the newer autoconf to generate the
scripts.

Yep, and that can be enforced by adding something like:

    AC_PREREQ(2.54)

at the top of configure.in to prevent versions earlier than 2.54 being
used.

Erik
--
[N] Erik de Castro Lopo, Senior Computer Engineer
[E] erik.de.castro.lopo () sensorynetworks com