tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Patch : fix minor configure wart for libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:23:42 -0800

On Jan 6, 2004, at 1:07 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Supporting a range of versions of autoconf is admirable, but I think the
more recent versions should have priority over older versions. From a
little research, it seems that autoconf 2.50 was released in mid-2001
which really is some time ago.

I have no problem abandoning support for autoconf 2.13 if nobody has a problem with it (although it'd be nice if we could make it work with 2.13; however, I don't think 2.13 has AC_LIBOBJ, so I don't think it is).

If nobody objects within the next few days, let's change it.

However, why not just use AC_LIBOBJ, as per

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_mono/ autoconf.html#SEC165

as

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_mono/ autoconf.html#SEC47

says "Technically, it adds `function.$ac_objext' to the output variable LIBOBJS and calls AC_LIBSOURCE for `function.c'. You should not directly change LIBOBJS, since this is not traceable."

Yep, and that can be enforced by adding something like:

    AC_PREREQ(2.54)

at the top of configure.in to prevent versions earlier than 2.54 being
used.

Why not just

        AC_PREREQ(2.50)

as AC_LIBOBJ was apparently introduced in 2.50?

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe