tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: beta1

From: Neil Spring <nspring () cs washington edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:09:07 -0800

Guy,

On Nov 13, 2003, at 2:52 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Nov 13, 2003, at 1:43 PM, Neil Spring wrote:

1) any chance of removing unused rcsid variables? grep suggests they are always defined but never used. Alternately, move it below the include "interface.h" and edit it to say:
static const char rcsid[] _U_ =

The latter sounds good; that way, you still get the RCS IDs in the image, but you don't get the whinging from the compiler.

I've attached a ruby script that, when placed in the tcpdump directory, moves rcsid's beneath the include of "interface.h". If interface.h is not included, it is added after tcpdump-stdinc.h, which if that isn't there, is included after config.h. it then replaces "rcsid =" with "rcsid _U_ =". It should be idempotent. Backup files are made, but are probably useless.

The only file it fails on is missing/datalinks.h, which included tcpdump-stdinc.h without previously including config.h. (I think that's better fixed separately).

The script is a bit of a messy hack, but it works and is much more compact than sending a patch against cvs (that would almost certainly fail to apply due to the cvs tags).

thanks,
-neil