tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New APIs to support multiple DLT_'s on an interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:24:58 -0800

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:04:38AM -0600, David Young wrote:
Point taken about -D. I suggest tcpdump -y for "set data link tYpe". =)

Well, I've just checked that in - tcpdump now supports "-L" and "-y".

For the sake of a consistent interface across platforms, I prefer
that *every* tcpdump support both -L and -y. On platforms without a
choice of DLT, however, tcpdump should not require the DLT API from
libpcap. Instead, it should provide a trivial implementation which lists
one DLT for -L and which insists that -y provide that DLT, only.

The code I checked in does that.

On platforms it is implemented, pcap_list_datalinks should always return
at least one DLT. Also, pcap_set_datalink should permit you to set at
least any DLT on the list, but no DLT that is not on the list.

That's in my libpcap checkin, as per my earlier mail.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe