tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposal: rename DLT_PRISM_HEADER

From: Solomon Peachy <solomon () linux-wlan com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:56:36 -0500

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:56:24PM -0600, David Young wrote:
Sounds like hosttime is redundant.

Quite possibly, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hmm. Seems like mactime should be some suitably high-resolution unit
for 802.11, such as 10ns or 1ns, or else a second header in the radio
header should tell the units. The point of DLT_IEEE802_11_RADIO is to
smooth over hardware differences.

it would be at least microsecond-accurate, but beyond that.

(For some applications, it may be handy to know which frame feature
the mactime indicates. E.g., whether it is the start of the PLCP or MAC
header, or the end of frame.)

Hmm.  I don't recall seeing this in any of the hardware docs I'm privvy
to, but it's certianly an interesting thought.

BTW, I keep thinking of reasons to adopt length-type-value tuples for
the radio header. There are three, so far.  First, records such as RSSI
are meaningless for transmitted frames, so they may as well be omitted.
Second, certain records are not supported by certain hardware.  Third,
the radio header is likely to change fast: one may desire to adopt a
new device driver without breaking compatibility with your tcpdump.
With LTVs, your tcpdump may skip records whose type it does not know.

No, the old DLT_IEEE80211_PRISM type did that; whet you end up with is
a header twice as long that can't be parsed or constructed as easily and
quickly.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        solomon () linux-wlan com
AbsoluteValue Systems                 http://www.linux-wlan.com