tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposal: rename DLT_PRISM_HEADER

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:28:59 -0800 (PST)

David Young said:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 04:04:21PM -0500, Stuffed Crust wrote:
http://www.shaftnet.org/~pizza/software/capturefrm.txt is the current
spec as implemented in the linux-wlan-ng driver and the ethereal
dissector.  Have a look; it's considerably more sane and flexible than
the old format, and it's not tied closely to any one hardware type.

I will use the AVS capture format in NetBSD, but I have some questions
and suggestions.

May we call this DLT_IEEE802_11_RADIO?

What are the units for the mactime? The hosttime? It would be nice if
the units were standardized (nanoseconds, picoseconds) or if the header
carried some units indication. Also, is it desirable to indicate which
packet feature the mactime marks (PLCP header, 802.11 header, packet
end)?

Is the dot11AntennaList given in the 802.11 spec?

Any idea how the version numbers be coordinated?

Any particular reason for the super-generous, 32-bit fields?

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Engineering from the Right Brain

I'm CCing "pizza () shaftnet org" as I don't know whether he's on tcpdump.org
or not.  (If he's not, please CC him on all the replies; assume he's not
until he says he is.(

I can't answer most of the question, but I believe the *intent* was to
introduce a new DLT_ value for the new radio header - but, pending support
in Linux for a new ARPHRD_ value, the old value was used, with the
first-word hack.

We could *add* a *new* DLT_ value with the name you suggest, and have the
old value interpreted either as having the old Prism header or the new TLV
header depending on the first word, and interpret the new DLT_ value as
having the TLV header, with NetBSD (and, presumably, eventually the other
BSDs) using the new DLT_ value and with Linux using the new ARPHRD_ value
(mapped to the new DLT_ value) if, as, and when they add the new ARPHRD_
value.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe