Snort mailing list archives

Re: Process Snort alerts on real time

From: Marcin Dulak <marcin.dulak () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 20:03:04 +0100

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Nora Aron <valeparatodo () gmail com> wrote:

*"in that case, you could whip up something in perl that monitors the
alert file and sends your flash message when it detects what you've
configured it to react to... i have maintained an active response tool that
effectively tails the alert file and issues iptables/ipset rules based on
activity... you can do similar except instead of iptables/ipset stuff, do
your text messaging thing..."*

Yes, maybe I am not clear with my target due to language. I don't need any
text messaging thing. I just need to know when a new alert has been
triggered, so then I would extract all the packet to be analysed by another
module of my system.
I found ids-tools <http://idstools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/unified2.html>
by jasonish. Some of these scripts are also included in snort/tools, such
us u2spewfoo. In the library they have a SpoolEventReader script which is
something similar to what I need, since it is continuosuly reading logs. So
with that simple code:

reader = unified2.SpoolEventReader("/var/log/snort", "snort.u2")for event in reader:
    print(event)

I have my current log being tailed.

So I just would have to get the event and run my program in spite of just
printing it. But I am trying to figure out the format of the packet that it
is providing to me. It is not hex nor binary.
\x00!\xd7j\xe4\x00\xdcJ>\x88*R\x08\x00E\xc0\x00q\xf4\xf0\x00\x00@
\x01;\x92\.....

Is that a common format?

http://seclists.org/snort/2017/q1/11