Snort mailing list archives

Re: Process Snort alerts on real time

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 07:54:27 -0500

On 02/21/2017 04:56 AM, Ana Serrano Mamolar wrote:
Hi, and thanks for your response.

I am already using Barnyard, but it doesn't fit with me since I have to request
for alerts but I am not notified instantaneously when an alert is triggered.
Also I need the entire payload of the packet, and barnyard don't provide all I need.

AFAIK, barnyard2 only provides transportation of the alerts into the database...
nothing else... you have to use other tools to analyze the database and those
tools will perform your alerts...

Maybe I haven't been clear with my first message, but what I need is something
that notify me of a new alert in real time, in the same moment that it has been
triggered.

in that case, you could whip up something in perl that monitors the alert file
and sends your flash message when it detects what you've configured it to react
to... i have maintained an active response tool that effectively tails the alert
file and issues iptables/ipset rules based on activity... you can do similar
except instead of iptables/ipset stuff, do your text messaging thing...