Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question -- Can Snort be installed in a routed mode instead of bridged mode?

From: J Green <corpengineer () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 16:21:51 -0700

Using this syntax, it seems to work (in terms of Snort detecting traffic).

/usr/local/bin/snort –daq afpacket –I eth0:eth1 –u snort –g snort –c
/etc/snort/snort.conf

and

iptables –I FORWARD –j QUEUE

I can create rules, and generate alerts:  a.b.c.d is connected to eth0, and
w.x.y.z is connected to eth1.

However, how do I actually pass/route traffic (that doesn't trigger alerts)
through Snort?  Nothing reaches w.x.y.z.

Do I need to create rules to let a.b.c.d on eth0 reach w.x.y.z on eth1, for
various services, w/in iptables?

Thank you.