Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort running inline but not functioning as IPS

From: Robin Kipp <mlists () robin-kipp net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 17:29:35 +0100

Hi YM,
thanks for the response!
Considering your comment and the blog post you linked to, I decided to try and „drop“ the rules in the „balanced“
ruleset in some other way.
So, I added the following to my dropsid.conf:

pcre:balanced-ips\ drop

Afterwards I reprocessed the rules, now the stats look very different!
Rule Stats...
        New:-------0
        Deleted:---0
        Enabled Rules:----430
        Dropped Rules:----6651
        Disabled Rules:---20870
        Total Rules:------27951
IP Blacklist Stats...
        Total IPs:——19676

At this point I haven’t had a chance to take a closer look at whether or not those dropped rules are all the ones in
the balanced ruleset.
After restarting Snort, I realized that I still wasn’t getting any alerts. So, at this point I went back to my
pulledpork.conf and commented out the ips_policy statement.
After reprocessing, I saw that the rule stats still looked the same, so no differences in the number of enabled and
dropped rules. I then restarted Snort once again and guess what, my alerts are back!
To summarize, the ips_policy option in pulledpork.conf is now disabled, only thing I have is that regular expression in
my dropsid.conf. That then dropped most rules and enabled some others.
As I have to go soon I’m currently not able to conduct extensive vulnerability scans and exploit tests, but will do so
later on today. I will just let Snort run for a while at this point to see what it will capture, but I really, really
hope that with this modification it will behave as expected.
If you have any comments about the changes I made or any other suggestions, please feel free to share them with me!
Thanks a lot for all the great help!
Best regards,
Robin