Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort using rpcap in windows

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:17:52 +0000

Take a look at the README file included with the DAQ:

PCAP Module
===========

pcap is the default DAQ.  If snort is run w/o any DAQ arguments, it will
operate as it always did using this module.  These are equivalent:

    ./snort -i <device>
    ./snort -r <file>

    ./snort --daq pcap --daq-mode passive -i <device>
    ./snort --daq pcap --daq-mode read-file -r <file>

You need to use the “–daq-mode read-file” if you are going to use pcap mode with the daq.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive