Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using DNS response fields in an alert msg

From: "lists () packetmail net" <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 09:00:55 -0600

On 01/07/2015 08:53 AM, Rodgers, Anthony (DTMB) wrote:
In similar vein, I'd love to do something with the "X-Forwarded-For" header field in HTTP traffic. For suspected
infections, it's the proxy client I'm interested in remediating, not the proxy server itself.

Ryan Moon and I (I didn't do much, if anything) wrote some code that does this
using the Unified format and then converts it to a traditional syslog feed.  I
had some conversations with Victor about this and it may be in the current
version of Suricata now, I'd need to check.  If not you're more than welcome to
the code if this would fit your use case?  We're using this code behind a
load-balancer where it hits the VIPs to pull out the true Internet IP.

Since it's parsing unified format I imagine it'll work with Snort as well, not
just Suricata.  It's written in Ruby; hit me up off-list if you'd like a copy at
this address of my first name @ packetmail.net

Cheers,
Nathan