Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using DNS response fields in an alert msg

From: Jason Haar <Jason_Haar () trimble com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 19:35:06 +1300

On 08/01/15 02:19, David Longenecker wrote:
It works pretty well, with one shortcoming: the alerts identify the
offending device, but not the name request. I have to go back to the
packet capture afterward to determine the requested domain. Does
anyone on this list have an example of snort parsing a dns response
into its component name and address fields, and using these fields in
the alert message?
A similar problem occurs with the "sinkhole" rules. We push our http
traffic through content filtering proxies and snort still catches the
stuff the proxies miss, such as "BLACKLIST Connection to malware
sinkhole". It would be much more useful if that rule was "BLACKLIST
Connection to malware sinkhole on %HTTP.Header.Host" because then we
could use the hostname to compare with the proxy logs to actually
discover the client IP

(or run more snort instances in front of all the proxies - yes I've
already thought of that :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171