Snort mailing list archives

Using DNS response fields in an alert msg

From: David Longenecker <david () 7longeneckers com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 07:19:10 -0600

Hi snort folks, I'm looking for a bit of education. Forgive me if this is
not the right forum for questions like this.

Over the holiday break, I spent some time with snort and opendns,
inspecting DNS responses to detect potential malicious activity on the
local network. The idea was, opendns does a good job of *blocking*
malicious content by responding with a warning landing page instead of the
actual address; I can use that to *alert* when a blocked page is requested.
I look for several known landing pages in the dns answer record, and
trigger an alert.

It works pretty well, with one shortcoming: the alerts identify the
offending device, but not the name request. I have to go back to the packet
capture afterward to determine the requested domain. Does anyone on this
list have an example of snort parsing a dns response into its component
name and address fields, and using these fields in the alert message?

Project description: http://dnlongen.blogspot.com/snort-dns
Just the rules: https://github.com/dnlongen/snort-dns