Snort mailing list archives

Re: SNORT version lifecycle

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:49:42 +0000

From: Hanson.Webster () salemfive com
CC: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:33:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] SNORT version lifecycle

OK I downloaded Snort 2.9.6.2 and daq 2.0.2 and installed them .  I can get pulled pork to update the rules now,
however I can’t get Snort to start.  This is
 the error I get:

Finished Loading all dynamic preprocessor libs from /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor/
ERROR: The dynamic detection library "/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/web-activex.so" version 1.0 compiled with
dynamic engine library version 2.0 isn't compatible
 with the current dynamic engine library "/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so" version 2.1.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

What do I need to update?
 You need to update the shared object rules (.so) files residing in
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/. The error basically says that you
are using an older version of the shared objects and that these need to
be updated to the compiled version 2.1 that goes along with your Snort
version.

You can either delete the existing older ones and copy
the new ones manually from the rules tarball
(so_rules/precompiled/<distro>/<archi>/2.9.6.2/), or
configure PulledPork to update them automatically for you.

YM