Snort mailing list archives

Re: default snort rules

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 22:19:39 +0000

On Jul 8, 2014, at 2:27 PM, Abhijit Tikekar <abhijittikekar () gmail com<mailto:abhijittikekar () gmail com>> wrote:

I am a new snort user. Current implementation is snort-2.9.6.1 on CentOS 6.4 along with barnyard and snorby. My
question is regarding the ruleset which I downloaded as a registered user.

Many of the rule files are empty, e.g, icmp.rules, or ddos.rules. Are these supposed to be empty?

Yes, these rules have transitioned to new categories per the policy realignment.

The reason I am asking is because when I used pytbull against snort to test, snort.log never recorded anything.
When I add a test icmp rule(alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"ICMP Packet"; sid:477; rev:3;), then only that is
captured by snort, nothing else.

How much tuning should I do to my default snort ruleset before noticing any alerts by scans from pytbull etc?
Is the default snort implementation capable of detecting such attacks? I enabled all options in pytbull while scanning,
e.g. Fragmented packets, brute force, shellcodes, DOS etc..

Ruleset used: snortrules-snapshot-2961.tar.gz

having not tested pytbull myself successfully, id say take a look at the Snort faq.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/snort-faq/blob/master/FAQ/Im-not-receiving-alerts-in-Snort.md

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager