Snort mailing list archives

Re: default snort rules

From: Abhijit Tikekar <abhijittikekar () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:48:55 -0400

yes, tcpdump -i eth2 does see the entire scan traffic.

The command for "rules read" doesn't return anything. So, when I checked
just for "rules", got the following, being repeated each time snort starts.

Jul 10 12:24:53 snort[41325]: Parsing Rules file "/etc/snort/snort.conf"
Jul 10 12:24:53 snort[41325]: Loading all dynamic detection libs from
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules...
Jul 10 12:24:53 snort[41325]: WARNING: No dynamic libraries found in
directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules.
Jul 10 12:24:53 snort[41325]:   Finished Loading all dynamic detection libs
from /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules

output plugin is following:

# unified2
# Recommended for most installs
*output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128*

[Noticed that extension in output is *.log, instead of *.u2. Could that be
an issue?]

Verified that rule path is correct:

*var RULE_PATH /etc/snort/rules*

Also, all these rules are un-commented in the conf file.

Thanks,

Abhi