Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ideal way to update the rules

From: Livio Ricciulli <livio () metaflows com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:55:40 -0700

This might be a bit of a project but the way we handle rule updating without service interruption is to exploit a nice side-effect of pf_ring. pf_ring distributes packets to multiple snort processes to execute in parallel; when one of the processes dies the others pickup the slack almost instantly. When it is added back it gets its portion of the traffic again. So, we kill one process at a time every few seconds updating all processes without ever losing service. There will be some loss in session states but it is a lot better than no service.. Getting pf_ring inline to work can be tricky, but once it does, your get the added benefit
of higher performance also.

Let me know if you need more information on that.

I hope this helps,

Livio.