Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ideal way to update the rules

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:31:41 +0000

On Jul 28, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Anshuman Anil Deshmukh <anshuman () cybage com> wrote:

I have a couple of questions regarding updating the rules automatically and then sending a HUP signal to barnyard and
Snort after every time we update the rules.

We intend to use so rules. I understand that the HUP signal cannot be sent when downloading and processing the so
rules, then the only option left is to stop Barnyard  & Snort completely. In our case we would be having snort
working as inline and hence don’t recommend reinitializing the snort completely as it would break the network
connection (our DAQ is AFPACKET)

Questions:
1.       How regularly are so_rules released and how should they updated (daily/weekly/any other option)?

We release the ruleset on Tuesday and Thursdays, sometimes more often, Shared Object rules can be updated at any time,
but you are right, they are much less frequent.

2.       How could one keep the so rules as well text based rules updated with pulledpork? Do we need to have
different schedules for updating so_rules and text based rules? If yes, is it like we need to have separate
configuration files one for text based rules and and other for so_rules ?

Pulledpork handles the updates for both Shared object and text rules.

We are using Snort version 2.9.6.1 and pulledpork version 0.70